Dr. Reddy’s to charge Rs. 990 for each sachet of the anti-COVID-19 medicine by DRDO (2-DG)
Dr. Reddy’s has recently fixed the price of DRDO’s 2-DG (2-deoxy-D-glucose) at Rs. 990 per sachet. It was revealed that this would be provided in the central and state government hospitals at a discounted price.
2-DG is an anti-COVID-19 medicine developed by the INMAS, a lab of DRDO in collaboration with Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories. The clinical trials’ results showed that this drug aided in faster recovery of the hospitalized patients. It was also found to reduce supplemental oxygen dependency.
A large proportion of the COVID-19 patients who were treated with this drug also showed RT-PCR negative conversion.
The INMAS-DRDO scientists conducted experiments with the help of CCMB, Hyderabad in April 2020, and discovered 2-DG.This molecule was found to be effective against the SARS-CoV-2 virus and inhibited viral growth.
The second phase of the clinical trials was carried out in COVID-19 patients in May-October 2020. It was conducted in over six hospitals in India and covered over 110 patients. The phase IIb clinical trials (dose ranging) were conducted at around 11 hospitals and the drug was found to be safe and effective by the end of this trial.
As per the senior DRDO officials, around 10,000 sachets of this drug will be produced in the second batch. The mass production of 2-DG is expected to begin in the first week of June 2021. It is believed that the central government will ramp up the production of 2-DG by roping in three or more companies.
- 1. Defense Research and Development Organization
- 2. Institute of Nuclear Medicine and Allied Sciences
- 3. Reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction
- 4. Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology
- 5. The Scope and Importance of Clinical Research in the Pharma Industry
- Pharma News August 2021
- Monthly Update- pharma News July 2021
- Moderna collaborates with Thermo Fischer Scientific
- Bamlanivimab and Etesevimab: EUA in India
- JB Chemicals launches NOSMOK nicotine lozenges
- 2-DG: anti-COVID-19 by the INMAS
- GSK and Vir Biotechnology plan to launch Sotrovimab
- USFDA approves Gland Pharma’s Foscarnet
- Gilead delivers Amphotericin B to India
- Monthly Update- pharma News June 2021
- Zydus seeks DCGI’s approval for COVID-19 biological therapy
- Zydus and TLC to commercialize AmphoTLC in India
- Sun Pharma recalls Metformin tablets from the US market
- Pfizer – BioNTech pledge to supply 2 billion doses
- Johnson & Johnson COVID Vaccine update