Sterilization is the process of killing and eliminating transmissible agents effectively. These unwanted agents include bacteria, endospores, fungi, viruses, and prions. If not taken care of, these can cause severe problems ranging from allergic reactions to fatal infections.
- The process is carried out on several potential infections spreading things including equipment, food, and medication, biological culture medium, or any surface.
- The pharmaceutical industry comprises a vast multitude of components. Medicines, nutraceuticals, medical devices, surgical equipment are essential to maintain healthcare services.
- Thus, it becomes crucial to monitor the efficacy with proper standards, thus ensuring safety and preventing chances of other ailments.
- All the products are thus sterilized by different means, and the sterility testing makes an essential factor of in-process quality control.
- The in-process controls (IPC) are standard checks essential to perform before the completion of manufacturing.
- IPC help to adapt and optimize the processes for best quality output post-manufacturing, free from contaminations.
Method of sterilization and Uses
Different methods are used to sterilize various compounds as follows. –
Moist heat sterilization
Sterilizing surgical dressings, sheets, diagnostic and surgical equipment, closures and containers, ophthalmic preparations, aqueous injections
Dry heat sterilization
for dry powder drugs, oil, fats and waxes, soft and hard paraffin, suspension in aqueous solutions, oily injections, implants, ointments, and ointment bases
For thermolabile substances including hormones, proteins, heat-sensitive drugs, and medicaments
Sterilization by U.V./gamma radiation
- Most lethal, U.V. radiation used for sterilization of garments and utensils
- Gamma radiations – sterilization of antibiotics, sutures, plastics, hormones, and catheters
For heat-sensitive injections, ophthalmic solutions, biological products, air and gases supplied in aseptic areas, industrial fermenters, freeze dryers, and centrifuges.
Other Pharmaceutics Articles
- Aseptic techniques in hospital settingsAseptic techniques form one of the fundamental principles for infection control in clinical and surgical settings. These techniques include – Removal …
- Concept of sterilization in the pharmaceutical areaSterilization is the process of killing and eliminating transmissible agents effectively. These unwanted agents include bacteria, endospores, fungi, viruses, and prions. If not …
- Tablet dosage forms- Properties and typesWhat is tablet dosage forms? Tablets are solid dosage forms containing active pharmaceutical ingredients and excipients. Tablets are solid, circular, …
- Rubber as a material for seals and closuresRubbers are an excellent material for forming seals and closures. A closure is a part of the package used for …
- Containers: Desirable features and typesPharmaceuticals are highly susceptible to degradation, and the quality of the pharmaceutical products directly affects their response and effectiveness. Therefore …
- Materials for containers: their merits and demeritsPharmaceuticals packaging is vital as it provides protection, helps identify, improves the convenience in transporting, and provides information about the …